Offering free Wi-Fi can be a huge asset to business establishments like hotels, coffee shops, bookstores and anywhere else people want to connect. But for guest Wi-Fi to be beneficial to a business, the connection has to work—and it has to work well.
Organizations that advertise free Wi-Fi service and offer only a slow or broken connection can actually do themselves more harm than good. Customers who come to these establishments expecting a strong connection—particularly those planning to do job- or school-related work—may grow annoyed, take their business elsewhere, and perhaps even take their frustration out on online reviews—doing further damage to the business.
A wireless network analyzer can mean the difference between retaining customers and forfeiting revenue. A top-flight wireless network analysis solution like WildPackets’ OmniPeek manages the entire life cycle of a network, including both wired and wireless segments simultaneously, ensuring optimal performance at all times. The product significantly reduces network outages by monitoring performance 24×7, 365 days per year.
Of course, OmniPeek is a game-changer for mission-critical operations within a company as well. With more companies using wireless as a primary medium for data service, a wireless analyzer that can manage both wired and wireless segments of a network to ensure the entire ecosystem is operating at capacity becomes critical. Just as customers grow frustrated with unstable Wi-Fi, employees are bothered by underperforming applications they need to do their jobs effectively.
A lackluster Wi-Fi network can adversely affect your business—but tools to avoid this issue are readily available. The bottom line is that a wireless network analyzer can save you time, money and frustration. Isn’t that worth an investment?
The upside to the proliferation of smartphones, tablets and laptops is that they allow your employees to access important work-related information from just about anywhere, improving collaboration and productivity in the process. Personal mobile devices can also save your business money because you won’t have to lay out cash for company-specific mobile tools.
The downside to the bring your own device (BYOD) trend, however, is that anywhere, anytime access can create significant security concerns for both you and your customers. Efficient mobile communications are a necessity in today’s global marketplace. At the same time, companies must always be cognizant of what information employees are accessing on-the-go and how they are viewing it.
Fortunately for companies with dispersed workforces there are strategies and solutions that can severely limit BYOD risks. Let’s take a look at five critical ways companies can ensure their BYOD policies are as strong as possible:
- Go beyond device security: It’s important to maintain security protocol at the device level. It’s equally important to have visibility into the data traffic from these devices. Effective Network monitoring tools give engineers a high-level view, along with their associated traffic patterns, of every node on the network at all times.
- Run a pilot program: There is no way to fully anticipate the problems you’ll run into when you launch a new protocol. That’s why running a trial program is crucial. Pilots allow your company to encounter and solve actual issues as they crop up, rather than just hypothetical scenarios.
- Invest in training: Employees can’t be expected to abide by BYOD policies they don’t fully understand. Nothing will prepare your workforce for the rigors of remote work quite like teaching them exactly how your company would prefer they use their devices, as well as covering what should remain off-limits.
- Involve all company departments and stakeholders: Network security affects every department, from billing to HR to customer service. A data breach in any of these divisions can wreak havoc across an entire organize. Employees in these departments need to understand that network security is everybody’s job, not just IT.
- Consider all industry requirements: As mobility proliferates, many regulations are continually put in place to keep it a safe space. Ensuring your company is up-to-date on the latest requirements will stave off many future issues. It’s especially vital that companies also understand their own verticals and the regulations—like HIPAA laws for healthcare, for instance—with which they must remain compliant to avoid fines and penalties.
Even when your company is on top of all these issues, it can never hurt to have a helping hand or a second set of eyes. For this reason, companies like WildPackets, who specialize in troubleshooting and wireless network forensics, can bring peace of mind to even the most forward-thinking organizations.
Click here to download WildPackets’ whitepaper on BYOD security for mission critical applications.
This week, we are excited to announce the release of WildPackets Omni Distributed Analysis version 7.9.5, our latest product update and the industry’s first Wi-Fi analysis solution for gigabit wireless local area networks (WLANs). With this release, WildPackets becomes the only vendor on the market to offer a solution for managing and troubleshooting new enterprise 802.11ac networks.
Enterprises large and small are upgrading their WLANs to the 802.11ac standard, which provides unprecedented performance, capacity and reliability. However, traditional techniques and solutions for WLAN troubleshooting and analysis are unable to handle the increased throughput of 802.11ac.
As the amount of data traversing enterprise WLANs continues to grow, enterprises need a solution that will ensure optimal network performance and business productivity. Omni Distributed Analysis 7.9.5 delivers the necessary capture and analysis capabilities to handle this increased throughput of data, ensuring that enterprises have the WLAN troubleshooting and analysis tools they need to keep up with these new network standards.
Some of the other key features of Omni 7.9.5 include:
- Gigabit Wireless Network Analysis
- Multichannel and wireless roaming analysis
- Comprehensive voice over Wi-Fi troubleshooting (VoFi)
- Flexible data capture – including portable, remote, and wireless forensics
- Remote capture from commercial APs, including CISCO and Aruba
As network technology continues to advance, and demand grows for more data faster, WildPackets continues to provide the simplicity and visibility to keep up with your growing network. To learn more, visit wireless.wildpackets.com or register for our Q&A on Gigabit Wi-Fi Analysis, happening on Wednesday, June 18.